We have been hearing a lot of buzz out in the HOA world about the new Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) regulations relating to pool accessibility standards. Many associations are confused about whether these new standards apply to their communities, what exactly the pool accessibility standards require and when modifications to pools and spas must be … Continue reading
Downloadable Learning Tools
Search for an article
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- A Step-by-Step Approach to Amending and Restating Governing Documents April 20, 2017It seems as though the laws change as frequently as the tides. Some years see more legal changes than others – changes that greatly affect the way boards manage the association’s affairs. The laws governing community associations have experienced so much change within the past three to four years alone that it may make your […]caiclac
- Governor Declares an End to the Drought, For Most April 12, 2017Today Governor Brown signed an executive order declaring that effective immediately the “Drought State of Emergency” is terminated in all of California counties, except Fresno, Tulare, Kings and Tuolumne. The executive order also had the effect of rescinding a previous emergency proclamation and four executive orders regarding the drought. And, the newest ex […]caiclac
- A Step-by-Step Approach to Amending and Restating Governing Documents April 20, 2017
- Harbor Gate HOA Receives CAI-GLAC Excellence in Community Leadership November 11, 2016Community Associations Institute’s Greater Los Angeles Chapter held its Annual Awards Gala on Saturday, November 5, 2016. SwedelsonGottlieb congratulates firm client Harbor Gate Homeowners Association (San Pedro, California) for receiving the Chapter’s award for Excellence in Community Leadership. Board members Betsy Koehler, Lois Riopelle and Carolyn Cooper […]David C. Swedelson
- Do California HOA/Condo Homeowners Have The Right To Post Political Signs On Their Property Or In Their Windows? November 8, 2016By David Swedelson, Esq. Senior Partner, SwedelsonGottlieb, Community Association Attorneys Considering how contentious the campaigns for president have been for the election of our next president, it is amazing that we have not received more requests from our California community association/HOA clients for advice on how to deal with political signs. The fa […]David C. Swedelson
- Harbor Gate HOA Receives CAI-GLAC Excellence in Community Leadership November 11, 2016
- Who’s the Bully in your HOA? Could it Be You? October 10, 2016Who’s the Bully in your HOA? October is National Anti- Bullying Month, officially. It doesn’t just apply to bullying in the schools or in relationships between family members or friends.BGrimm
- HOA SALES TRANSACTIONS CAN BE PRECARIOUS-THERE ARE MANY “SHARKS” IN THE WATER October 6, 2016HOA sales transactions can be precarious when the parties that are doing the talking do not know what they’re talking about. I did a blog about a month ago withBGrimm
- Who’s the Bully in your HOA? Could it Be You? October 10, 2016
- What Can Possibly Happen in a Small HOA? February 22, 2017I have had a lot of calls lately from owners in, and directors of, small associations. I mean 10 or fewer units. One would think everyone could just get along, right? Well, we don’t always get what we want, and in any size HOA, but especially the smaller ones, one bad apple can spoil the [...]Beth Grimm
- An HOA Lawyer Who Tells It Like It Is. February 17, 2017Those dang Attorneys – Sometime they are sooooooooo frustrating! I am a lawyer. I don’t be around the bush I tell it like it is. In my extensive 30+ year as an HOA lawyer, I have found that even if the news isn’t great, or what a client necessarily wants to hear, at least it [...]Beth Grimm
- What Can Possibly Happen in a Small HOA? February 22, 2017
- Water Damage PreventionWater damage claims can be very expensive to deal with, cause untold frustrations and have the potential for a living nightmare within your HOA complex. While you cannot prevent every possible situation where water can cause damage; here's a list of simple steps every association can take to reduce/eliminate many causes of water damage issues.Washing ma […]HOA Guy
- General Liability Coverage-How Much is Enough?All master association policies should have general liability coverage to protect the association from situations where is may have liability to injuries or property damage: a guest sustains an injury falling on a slippery driveway; someone is injured on the playground equipment; someone drowns in the pool; the possibilities are endless.Most standard policie […]HOA Guy
- Water Damage Prevention
- Coyotes in Garden Grove to be Trapped and Killed October 17, 2013Garden Grove residents showed up in force Wednesday to a special city council meeting, voicing concerns about a rising number of coyotes in the citys western neighborhoods.
- Anti-Gay Letter To Homeowners Association President Not Hate Crime October 16, 2013A Roseville homeowner was targeted by a letter attacking his sexual orientation, but police arent treating the letter as a hate crime.
- Coyotes in Garden Grove to be Trapped and Killed October 17, 2013