We are often asked to include confidentiality clauses in settlement agreements with owners, as the board often wants to avoid other owners hearing that the association settled. The concern is that these other owners will think it is OK to violate the CC&Rs or Rules, as they will ask for the same “sweetheart” deal. We … Continue reading
Downloadable Learning Tools
Search for an article
- News: January/February 2016 OC ViewArrayClick to launch the full edition in a newwindow.
- News: Recruit New Member and Win Big!ArrayMembers like you are in the best position to earn great rewards and strengthen our chapter by participating in CAI\'s new member-recruiting campaign, 30,000 & Counting. The campaign, which runs through ...
- News: January/February 2016 OC ViewArray
- Required Janitorial Service Registration February 6, 2017Effective July 1, 2018 Labor Code §§1420-1434 will be added to require persons or entities providing janitorial services to annually register with the California Labor Commissioner. These Labor Code provisions will prohibit employers from providing janitorial services without the required registration (which can be revoked by the Labor Commissioner under var […]caiclac
- “Who’s Your Legislator?” Contest February 6, 2017Hundreds of bills heard each year in Sacramento can affect California’s community associations. But how do our legislators know what’s best for homeowners? In addition to CAI-CLAC’s advocacy, it’s emails and phone calls from members like yourselves that have the greatest impact on elected officials. Enter our “Who’s Your Legislator?” contest and find your lo […]caiclac
- Required Janitorial Service Registration February 6, 2017
- Harbor Gate HOA Receives CAI-GLAC Excellence in Community Leadership November 11, 2016Community Associations Institute’s Greater Los Angeles Chapter held its Annual Awards Gala on Saturday, November 5, 2016. SwedelsonGottlieb congratulates firm client Harbor Gate Homeowners Association (San Pedro, California) for receiving the Chapter’s award for Excellence in Community Leadership. Board members Betsy Koehler, Lois Riopelle and Carolyn Cooper […]David C. Swedelson
- Do California HOA/Condo Homeowners Have The Right To Post Political Signs On Their Property Or In Their Windows? November 8, 2016By David Swedelson, Esq. Senior Partner, SwedelsonGottlieb, Community Association Attorneys Considering how contentious the campaigns for president have been for the election of our next president, it is amazing that we have not received more requests from our California community association/HOA clients for advice on how to deal with political signs. The fa […]David C. Swedelson
- Harbor Gate HOA Receives CAI-GLAC Excellence in Community Leadership November 11, 2016
- Who’s the Bully in your HOA? Could it Be You? October 10, 2016Who’s the Bully in your HOA? October is National Anti- Bullying Month, officially. It doesn’t just apply to bullying in the schools or in relationships between family members or friends.BGrimm
- HOA SALES TRANSACTIONS CAN BE PRECARIOUS-THERE ARE MANY “SHARKS” IN THE WATER October 6, 2016HOA sales transactions can be precarious when the parties that are doing the talking do not know what they’re talking about. I did a blog about a month ago withBGrimm
- Who’s the Bully in your HOA? Could it Be You? October 10, 2016
- An HOA Lawyer Who Tells It Like It Is. February 17, 2017Those dang Attorneys – Sometime they are sooooooooo frustrating! I am a lawyer. I don’t be around the bush I tell it like it is. In my extensive 30+ year as an HOA lawyer, I have found that even if the news isn’t great, or what a client necessarily wants to hear, at least it [...]Beth Grimm
- MUST THE TENANT RATIO IN AN HOA BE DISCLOSED TO A LENDER? February 10, 2017Here is a question sent to me about disclosures when a sale occurs in an HOA. “Escrow Sales HOA Demand Requests. During one of the seminars at the CACM Convention, one of the speakers (an association manager from Northern California) suggested management companies should not provide information about a condo to the lenders. In particular [...]Beth Grimm
- An HOA Lawyer Who Tells It Like It Is. February 17, 2017
- Water Damage PreventionWater damage claims can be very expensive to deal with, cause untold frustrations and have the potential for a living nightmare within your HOA complex. While you cannot prevent every possible situation where water can cause damage; here's a list of simple steps every association can take to reduce/eliminate many causes of water damage issues.Washing ma […]HOA Guy
- General Liability Coverage-How Much is Enough?All master association policies should have general liability coverage to protect the association from situations where is may have liability to injuries or property damage: a guest sustains an injury falling on a slippery driveway; someone is injured on the playground equipment; someone drowns in the pool; the possibilities are endless.Most standard policie […]HOA Guy
- Water Damage Prevention
- Coyotes in Garden Grove to be Trapped and Killed October 17, 2013Garden Grove residents showed up in force Wednesday to a special city council meeting, voicing concerns about a rising number of coyotes in the citys western neighborhoods.
- Anti-Gay Letter To Homeowners Association President Not Hate Crime October 16, 2013A Roseville homeowner was targeted by a letter attacking his sexual orientation, but police arent treating the letter as a hate crime.
- Coyotes in Garden Grove to be Trapped and Killed October 17, 2013